Recently, special cocktails called smoothies have become very popular among people who dream of losing weight, taking care of their figure or simply adhering to a healthy lifestyle. They're something between a drink and a full meal. Smoothies are prepared by mixing different products in a blender, often vegetables, berries and fruits. The fashion for such cocktails came from the West, where their use has almost become a cult. In America and Europe, you can easily find places that offer smoothies, and often they don't serve anything other than these.
In our article we will look at the benefits of smoothies for weight loss, how to use them and how to prepare them for effective weight loss.
A smoothie can hardly be called a drink — it's more of a dessert, appetizer, snack, or even a full meal. Which foods a cocktail is used for largely depends on what it is made of. A wide range of components can be used for this. In addition to vegetables, berries and fruits traditionally used in smoothies, spices, herbs, leaves, nuts, ice cream, yogurt, milk, kefir, wheat germ, ice cream and seeds often complement its composition. Of course, the characteristics of the dish also change due to the presence of certain components in the cocktail. For weight loss, smoothies should be made from low-calorie and fat-burning foods. First of all, it is recommended to pay attention to the following:
- Vegetables - cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, peppers, onions.
- Greens - basil, cilantro, parsley, dill, mint, spinach, sorrel.
- Berries - gooseberries, lingonberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, strawberries, watermelons, raspberries, currants.
- Fruit - Apples, cherries, cherry plums, apricots, peaches, plums, cherries, limes, pears, kiwis, pineapples, grapefruits and other citrus fruits.
- Dairy products - fat-free or low-fat kefir, cottage cheese and milk, natural sugar-free yogurt.
- Natural juices, green tea.
- Seeds and Nuts - Flaxseed, wheat germ, sesame, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pine nuts and Brazil nuts in very small amounts.
- oatmeal, bran.
- Hot spices and spices, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger.
How to make smoothies for weight loss
Like other similar cocktails, slimming smoothies are prepared in a blender. The necessary components are thoroughly washed, if necessary, the skin and core are removed from them with stones. Then they are placed in a blender bowl and blended until smooth. Also, if desired, additional components can be added to the smoothie, for example, spices, flaxseed, nuts, etc. Of course, cocktails with solid components should no longer be drunk, but eaten.
To prepare a successful smoothie, take components of different densities, that is, one product should be more solid, the other - juicier. For example, you can take a grapefruit and an apple. More interesting flavors are obtained by mixing sweet and sour foods. If you see that the cocktail is getting too thick, add the most suitable liquid component to it - juice, green tea, milk, cream or ice cubes.
When preparing cocktails for weight loss, try to choose the products that you love the most, then in addition to the benefits, their use will bring you joy. But just choose the ingredients carefully, avoid high-calorie additives such as chocolate, ice cream, etc. , as well as sugar and other sweeteners. Ideally, you should be getting a smoothie that is nutritious enough to give the body the energy boost it needs, but at the same time should be minimal in calories, ideally around 200 calories.
Lose weight with smoothies
Hoping that one glass of smoothies a day will help you lose weight isn't worth it. Noticeable weight loss will occur only with an integrated approach. In no case should cocktails act as additional food, they should replace at least one of the usual meals. In addition, you should also pay attention to what you eat besides smoothies. For the period of weight loss, alcohol, sweet, fatty, high-calorie foods should be eliminated from the diet. It is recommended to supplement these measures with an increase in physical activity.
Fasting days with smoothies, where you only consume these products, can give good results. Such days can be spent once or twice a week. You are particularly stubborn about only eating smoothies for several days in a row. This is allowed in principle and can even be beneficial to health, since such a menu also helps to cleanse the body of all harmful things.
The main thing to remember is that you can't eat smoothies for more than a week. At the same time, it is better to eat in small portions (about a glass) about 6 times a day or every few hours. This approach to nutrition allows you to reduce the volume of the stomach, improve metabolism and prevent severe hunger pangs, which often lead to breakdowns. Of course, the smoothie diet done this way gives the fastest and best results.
Smoothies - recipes for losing weight
Smoothie with oatmeal
There are two ways to make an oatmeal cocktail. According to the first, before mixing the ingredients, it is recommended to steam the oatmeal with a small amount of boiling water or hot milk. In a second method, oatmeal is placed in a blender bowl along with other ingredients and whipped raw. It is difficult to say which of these methods is better. It pays to prepare smoothies this way and that and then decide what you like best.
Some of the most common oatmeal smoothie recipes are as follows:
- Put a couple of tablespoons of steamed or dry rolled oats, half a banana, one hundred grams of plain low-fat yogurt in a blender, and then beat all the ingredients. If the mixture is too thick, it can be slightly diluted with milk or kefir. In addition, any fruits, berries or a combination of them can be added to this cocktail if desired.
- Grind four strawberries, a quarter of a banana, a spoonful of oatmeal and half a glass of kefir with a blender. Finished smoothie can be sprinkled with chopped nuts.
Such a cocktail can be prepared from both vegetables and fruits, often they are mixed together. Consider some interesting green smoothie recipes:
- Diet smoothie with asparagus and celery. Asparagus is an excellent natural source of carbohydrates and proteins, satiates well, and celery rejuvenates cells and promotes weight loss, avocados and Chinese cabbage provide the body with vitamins and enrich the taste. All this makes this smoothie an ideal product for weight loss. To prepare, mix one hundred grams of Chinese cabbage, water and celery, add half an avocado and four spears of asparagus, then chop all the ingredients.
- Spinach Banana Smoothie. In a blender bowl, combine half a large banana, one-third of a lettuce bunch, three large spinach leaves, a glass of water, and a few mint leaves. Grind the ingredients until smooth and pour into a suitable container. Flax or chia seeds, goji berries or spirulina powder complement this cocktail well. So if you have any of the products listed, feel free to add them to your smoothie.
- Lemon smoothie. In a blender bowl, add about three hundred grams of spinach (other vegetables can be used instead), half a lemon, a pear, a banana and one hundred milliliters of water, then grind until smooth. By the way, water can be replaced with milk, try this option, you might like it better.
- apple smoothie. Slice the apple and remove the core. Place the wedges in a blender, add a handful of spinach (either fresh or frozen works), then puree.
- green mix. Peel a cucumber and deseed a green pepper. Cut into chunks, place in a blender bowl, then add chopped spring onion stalks, 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 1/3 teaspoon fresh grated ginger. Grind the ingredients when they become a homogeneous mass, add a little mineral water and shake the cocktail.
Vegetable smoothies and blended smoothies
- One hundred and fifty grams of boiled and slightly cooled broccoli, beat with a mixer. Then add some greens, aromatic herbs and a glass of kefir and beat again.
- Combine one hundred grams of cooked broccoli and an equal amount of fresh spinach, peeled orange, sliced medium carrot and a quarter of an apple. Grind the ingredients in a blender, then add a glass of grapefruit juice and beat.
- Chop half an avocado, an apple and a cucumber and some fresh chopped ginger.
- Mix together five cherry tomatoes (you can substitute a regular tomato), a cucumber, half a celery stick, a quarter of a small onion, a few sprigs of dill, a clove of garlic, a small pinch of black pepper and chilled kefir.
Smoothie recipes for weight loss with sprouted wheat
- Add any two fruits and a spoonful of sprouted wheat to the blender bowl. Beat the ingredients well, then pour in a glass of milk, add a spoonful of cottage cheese and beat again.
- Put a glass of kefir in the blender bowl, add a handful of berries, choose the ones you like the most, a spoonful of sprouted wheat, four tablespoons of yogurt and half a spoonful of honey.
Cut half a kiwi, half a medium apple, half a grapefruit and a quarter of a banana into small pieces. Add 2 grams of dry or a small piece of fresh ginger root, a glass of chilled green tea and a spoonful of honey. Grind all the components with a blender until smooth and pour the resulting mass into a suitable container.