Getting in shape and getting a dream figure - not a single woman will refuse that. Often times, going to the gym is postponed out of self-doubt or fear of change. There is a way out - yoga for weight loss. Such courses will help tone the figure and lose weight, while imparting confidence, cheerfulness and positivity. Yoga not only improves the figure, but also the human mind, because this direction has so many fans.
Effectiveness of yoga for weight loss
Yoga is a proven way to lose weight for many women.
In addition, such classes act simultaneously in three directions:
- improve the figure and strengthen the muscles;
- Develop awareness;
- Giving confidence in yourself and changing attitudes towards the world.
This practice combines physical and mental development, so it is perfect for women who are unsure of themselves and their own strengths.
Yoga not only contributes to weight loss, it also changes attitudes towards one's own body, habits and lifestyle. It's a whole worldview that definitely makes someone's life better, easier, and happier.
However, you should understand right away that yoga classes "work" rather slowly, so losing 5kg a week will not work. The result depends heavily on diet and habits. A combination of regular exercise, a balanced diet and a daily routine is the path to success. You have to work here, but working on yourself is always pleasant and very effective in yoga.
Weight loss yoga for beginners can be mastered at a specialized center, health club, or at home. Beginners are still advised to choose group sessions with a trainer. Under the supervision of a specialist, all asanas will be mastered more easily, and the support of like-minded people will put a positive strain on you and will not allow you to turn off the intended goal.
Which problem areas of the body are affected by asanas
The basis of yoga are meditation, correct breathing techniques and asanas. Meditation helps to get into the right mood, to free the mind from everyday worries and to find harmony between the inner and outer world. A special breathing technique helps manage life energy, saturates all body cells with oxygen and improves the movement of blood and lymph through the vessels.
Asanas are the main ingredient for those looking to lose weight. This term refers to specific, mainly static exercises aimed at strengthening muscles and stretching.
Combining these areas in one lesson helps:
- Achieve harmony with the surrounding world;
- Get rid of stress and insomnia;
- Put aside fear and insecurity;
- Gather strength;
- increase the endurance of the body;
- develop a muscular corset;
- achieve excellent elongation.
As you can see, yoga has a positive effect on a person's entire life and strengthens the body and soul.
Yoga poses affect the entire body at the same time. The study of problem areas depends on the chosen practical area.
- Hutha Yoga.This is the most popular and sought-after direction, the so-called classical yoga. It is based on a slow alternation of asanas, the exercises involve more ligaments than large muscles, so such exercises are better for those who want to get a good stretch. Hatha yoga tones the whole body. There are many asanas, a trainer will help create an individual program. Some centers have their own area of Hatha Yoga, a collection of asanas that actively work on problem areas. The advantage of hatha yoga is that it does not require good physical fitness to begin with.
- Fitness yoga.This is a new direction, yoga, adapted to group classes in fitness clubs aimed at overweight people and anyone who wants to improve their physical performance. If Hatha yoga focuses on proper breathing and static asanas that flow smoothly from one to the other, then the fitness direction is more dynamic and involves more exercises. This type of yoga helps you lose weight, but it affects the whole body, not specific areas.
- Power yoga.Another new direction that combines a special breathing technique and fairly complex asanas that involve large muscles. This direction is for real warriors because it is based on a quick and dynamic change of asanas. The direction is suitable for more experienced athletes who want to learn to control their thoughts while strengthening the muscles of the thighs, legs, buttocks and back.
- Bikram yoga.This direction differs in that the lessons take place in hot-heated rooms. The result is profuse sweating, which leads to rapid weight loss. Such training puts additional strain on the heart and blood vessels and is therefore contraindicated in a number of cardiovascular diseases.
Popular Kundalini yoga is more spiritual than physical practice, and nidra yoga helps to recover from hard training. In general, for those who want to lose weight, it is better to pay attention to fitness yoga and weight training. But hatha yoga is suitable for almost everyone, regardless of physical indicators.
Preparation for class
First of all, you should choose a training format - home or group classes. If a person wants to master yoga at home, it is necessary to study the theoretical part and a detailed description of all the asanas, and then make your own program.
It is better to do it in the morning. If you want to lose weight, it is best to exercise before breakfast. You can eat two hours after class.
- The optimal duration for beginners is 1 hour. After 1 - 2 months, the duration can be increased to one and a half hours. To get any effect, you need to do it three times a week.
- For classes, it is necessary to choose comfortable loose clothing, yoga is usually practiced barefoot. You also need a special rug for home workouts.
- Another important nuance is a positive attitude. It is recommended that you start exercising in a good mood after you have had enough sleep and feeling healthy. If you have symptoms such as a cold, fever or rhinitis that make it difficult to breathe through the nose, it is better to postpone training.
- Also, some women find it difficult to exercise during menstruation, so you can rest for that time.
The following asanas for weight loss are recommended for beginners:
- "Plank" - to exercise the lower back, back, press, and arms;
- "Cat" - tightens the press, helps remove fat from the abdomen and sides;
- "Cobra" - strengthens the hips and buttocks;
- Downward facing dog - strengthens the calves and latissimus dorsi, forms a muscular corset;
- Grasshopper is an effective exercise from the ears to the hips and for toning the buttocks;
- "Wood" - strengthens the legs and buttocks.
This simple and effective course can easily be learned at home. After completing these exercises, it is recommended to end the workout in the dead man pose. This asana helps you relax and unwind and should last 10 or 15 minutes. To do this, you need to lie down on the floor and relax all the muscles in the body, while releasing the mind from unnecessary thoughts.
- It is recommended that you begin the exercises with a plank pose. To do this, you need to prop yourself up on your arms bent at your elbows, your legs straight and resting on your socks.
- The cat pose is performed on the knees and is supported by the arms raised in front of you. Inhale deeply, then exhale and round your back like a cat.
- Cobra Pose: Lie on the floor with your arms and legs outstretched. As you exhale, lift your upper body and hold it in this position.
- Downward Facing Dog: Stand on all fours, extend your arms forward, and then rise to your feet with your hands on the floor. The ascent occurs when you exhale.
- The locust asana is performed as follows: Lying on your stomach, pressing your hands to your sides, then pulling your chest and legs off the floor at the same time.
- Tree Pose - Standing straight, press one leg bent at the knee to the calf of the other leg as you extend your arms above your head.
Each exercise must be done for 20 to 30 seconds. You can do multiple repetitions or increase the amount of time you spend in an asana - it all depends on stamina and physical fitness.
Breathing techniques as a basis for losing weight
Effective weight loss in yoga is not possible without a special breathing technique. Proper breathing speeds up metabolism, improves lymph flow, and thus contributes to weight loss.
According to instructors, breath yoga practices can help reduce hunger and maintain a strict diet.
One of the simple but effective practices is breathing through your tongue. To do this, you need to open your mouth, show your tongue and curl up. Inhale deeply through your tongue, hold a count, then close your mouth and exhale through your nose. Repeat 10 times. You can resort to this breathing every time you feel premature hunger.
The value of nutrition during exercise
Yoga classes open to everyone will not bring any tangible results in the fight against obesity unless you change your eating habits. Yoga practices the practice of avoiding foods of animal origin. This is not required, but it is strongly recommended that you reduce the amount of meat and milk consumed by limiting the amount of these foods to 3 to 5 meals per week.
It is imperative to have breakfast and the first meal should be warm food. Yogis believe that the main meal should be when the sun is particularly bright, i. e. at noon. Lunch can be hearty at this time, but it is recommended not to forget about the allowable calorie content. For dinner it is better to limit yourself to light fare. Snack on fruits and vegetables throughout the day.
It is important to chew the food thoroughly, to indulge in this process completely and not to be distracted by external stimuli.
Be sure to drink plenty of water. It is recommended to drink 100 ml every hour. In order not to miss an appointment, you should set a reminder or an alarm clock.
For effective weight loss during exercise, it is recommended to avoid coffee and tea, as these drinks keep the body hydrated and limit the consumption of fried and fatty foods.
What are the contraindications
In the presence of such diseases and conditions, it is necessary to refuse classes:
- malignant and benign brain tumors;
- Infectious diseases of the joints and tendons;
- High blood pressure;
- Exacerbation of chronic diseases;
- Flu and SARS.
Pregnant women should not do this alone. There are specific instructions for expectant mothers, but you should consult your doctor before starting any such exercise.
In general, yoga is an effective and enjoyable way to tone your figure, but you shouldn't expect quick results. Slight weight loss of 1 to 3 kg is usually seen after two weeks of regular exercise.